The update is pushed OTA (over the air) and via Samsung Kies
We reported last week that Samsung resumed the rollout of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S III, after the deployment was halted for a few weeks.The previous version of the update was full of bugs and issues that Samsung managed to pinpoint and fix within a few weeks after Android 4.3 update was pulled from OTA (over the air) delivery.
Since the rollout of Android 4.3 update has been resumed for several days now, owners of the unlocked version have been receiving the upgrade and no issues seem to plague this build anymore.
Today, the folks over at Phonearena report, in an article that has been taken offline afterwards, that the update has finally reached US-based carrier Sprint. As mentioned earlier, the update is pushed OTA (over the air) in stages, which is why not all Samsung Galaxy S III owners will receive it at the same time.
Sprint Galaxy S III owners who have yet to be notified of the update might want to manually check for it by going to Settings / About device / Software Update / Update. Another method would be to connect the smartphone to a PC via Samsung Kies desktop software.
The following new features and improvements have been included in this version of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S III:
- Samsung Galaxy Gear support;
- TRIM support;
- Core UI elements updated to the ones on the Galaxy S4;
- New Samsung Keyboard;
- Updated GPU drivers;
- New Lockscreen: multiple widgets, improved ripple effect, ability to change clock size and set a personal message;
- New Screen modes: adapt display and professional photo;
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications;
- Move-to-SD-card feature;
- New Camera mode: Sound and Shot;
- New additions in Notification Centre;
- Completely revamped Settings UI;
- Implementation of Voice controls;
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music;
- Full screen Samsung apps;
- New S-Voice.