Android 2.1 Rolled-Out to Xperia X10, Already Rooted
Japanese-Swedish mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson announced last week that it would start the roll-out of the long promised Android 2.1 software update for its Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 handsets as soon as last Sunday, and the first devices already received their update, it seems.Users on the market started to report that arrival of the new software solution on their smartphones, though not all of them received it.
However, the mobile phone maker did announce that it would roll-out the solution in stages, and that Xperia X10 devices in the Nordic area would be the first to receive it.
The Android 2.1 Eclair (build number 2.0.A.0.504) was pushed out for Xperia X10, X10 mini, and X10 mini pro handsets, but the company said at one time that the newly released Xperia X8 should also receive it in the near future.
Only users in Scandinavia got the update for the time being, but more markets should start seeing it in the near future, provided that no issues with the update are discovered.
Some of the main enhancements the new software solution should bring forth include:
• HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
• Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
• New backup and restore application, with extended content back up
• 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
• Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:
• Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
• New backup and restore application with extended content back up
• Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
• Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
• Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
Interestingly enough, it appears that the Android 2.1 on Xperia X10 can already be rooted, at least this is what XDA-Developers forum members report (via Android Police).
According to a forum thread, the Xperia X10 with Android 2.1 on board can be rooted with SuperOneClick, and they got some screenshots to prove it too.