It's not a major update, but users will have to make do
Amazon has just released an update for Kindle Paperwhite, their latest touch ebook reader, improving the fonts and the overall functionality.The Kindle family usually receives a couple of updates, per generation. Kindle Paperwhite Software Update 5.3.0 is the first release by Amazon for their latest touch ebook reader.
As expected, the new firmware only performs some marginal improvements, mostly in light of the impending Japanese launch of the Kindle Paperwhite.
A lot of users have expected Amazon to push an update that would repair, to some degree, the small light issues people have reported, but it's a hardware problem and most likely Amazon can't actually do anything about it.
Besides the font updates and Manga improvements, there is a nifty feature that will provide a small measure of comfort for all Kindle Paperwhite users.
Amazon has decided to implement an Off switch for the recommended titles that were displayed on the main screen.
Highlights of Kindle Paperwhite Firmware 5.3.0:
• Amazon has made changes and improvements to Palatino, Baskerville, and Futura fonts.
This new feature can be easily identified when reading books and in menus;
• The Japanese and Chinese fonts have been updated and the spacing was tuned to provide a better reading experience;
• Users can now turn on or off recommended content from the Kindle Store on the Home screen;
• When users buy the book after reading the sample, Amazon will automatically start the book at the last reading location in the sample and remove the sample from the Kindle;
• Users can now access Settings directly from the menu;
• Simplified Chinese support has been implemented;
• A new Fit-to-Screen Mode that improves the readability of Manga and maximizes the use of your Kindle screen, has been implemented;
• Page Refresh in Comics and Manga is now done after every page turn.
Check out the official announcement for precise instructions on how to update your Kindle Paperwhite.
Download Kindle Paperwhite Firmware 5.3.0 right now from Softpedia.