Symantec and Sophos provide some all-important pieces of advice
Today, internauts are celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Safer Internet Day. The best way to celebrate this day is by taking a look at some of the important tips provided by experts and apply them as best as you can.Symantec and Sophos provide some tips for young Internet users. Parents should seriously consider sharing them with their youngsters to make sure they’re protected while surfing the Web.
Here are some of the pieces of advice:
1) Never give out personal information on the Internet. Apparently-unimportant information such as home address, phone number or the parents' work address can be used by cybercriminals to create fake social media accounts;
2) Make sure that your social media accounts are configured so that only your friends and family can see your information and the content you post;
3) Don’t overshare online. Burglars shouldn’t be told when you’re going away on vacation and cybercriminals should not know what emails to send you to convince you to install a piece of malware;
4) Don’t accept friend requests from people you don’t know. Also, don’t engage in conversations with strangers;
5) Always set strong passwords and never share them with anyone;
6) Log out of your online accounts once you’re done with them;
7) Install security solutions on your mobile devices as well, not just on your PC;
8) Avoid unsecured or untrusted websites, especially when doing online shopping. If they’re not reputable or they’re not using a secure connection for transactions (identified by the padlock icon and the https address), they might be part of a scheme;
9) Never click on links that look suspicious, especially if you’re promised prizes or other “interesting-looking” content;
10) Keep the software that runs on your computing devices updated at all times.