The list of applications tailored specifically to the embedded and componentized version of Windows 7 has grown with the addition of 17 new items. Following the RTM of Windows Embedded Standard 7
, formerly codenamed Quebec, 17 new applications & templates have been added to Compatible Applications website
, which the company maintains for its embedded customers. Of course, users of Windows Embedded Standard 7, which for a brief period of time carried the label Windows Embedded Standard 2011, should know that, according to Microsoft, the vast majority of Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP applications will also run on their platform without any problems.
Still, with the new apps, the company is “expanding the scope beyond Microsoft applications to include third-party applications as well as some important anti-virus, security, and thin client applications,” J.T. Kimbell
, program manager on the Windows Embedded team, revealed. Kimbell even provided a list of the 17 new apps, which you will be able to find below.
Microsoft recently released Windows Embedded Standard 7 to manufacturing, and subsequently made the OS available to customers. Trial versions of the operating system are also available for download from the Redmond company. As the figure 7 in the official moniker implies, Microsoft has skipped Vista altogether when it came down to looking for a new foundation to replace XP for its Embedded flavor of Windows, and went straight for Windows 7.
“Now that Window Embedded Standard 7 has been shipped, it’s time to start showing off and releasing some of the cool stuff that we have been doing around application templates,” Kimbell added. “We’re providing templates to make development of Standard 7 images quicker and easier. These templates provide the set of dependencies needed for an application to install and run.”
Kimbell also offered the “full list of 17 applications for which we recently released templates:
“- Adobe Flash 10;
- Adobe Reader 9;
- CA eTrust Antivirus 7.1;
- Citrix Offline App Plugin 6;
- Citrix XenApp Plugin for Hosted Apps 11;
- Java Runtime Environment 1.5;
- Microsoft Hyper-V Drivers;
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i;
- Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010;
- Microsoft Security Essentials;
- Microsoft Silverlight 4;
- Microsoft SQL Express 2008 R2;
- Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007;
- Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007;
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package;
- Microsoft XNA 3.1;
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.” 32-bit (x86) Windows Embedded Standard 7 RTM, 64-bit (x64) Windows Embedded Standard 7 RTM and the Windows Embedded Standard 7 Evaluation toolkit are available for download here.